Saturday, November 6, 2010

Malishka




Day two of our journey began with an Egg McMuffin… ok not really, but how awesome would that be? It actually started with a bagel sandwich with ham, egg and what is here considered to be cheese, but in reality falls about 10 legs too short! Even though in America I would have considered this breakfast venture a huge fail, here in Armenia this is about as good as it gets breakfast wise. This was the holy grail of breakfast finds. The real kicker was the “American” style cup of coffee me and Ash got to go! Yes coffee to go, it was divine! It was semi normal sized and had milk and sugar in it. Now listen, I know those of you sitting at home don’t understand the value of a familiar cup of coffee. I know that I may even sound like a spoiled brat right now, who needs things to be American to like them. And really that is not the case! I love Armenian coffee, I really do! But sometimes a familiar food or drink just brings you home. Just one sip brings back happy memories and floods your senses with comfort. There are not very many foods in Armenia that resemble the food that you would eat in America, so when you get something that is even close, it’s truly an experience.
After breakfast, Ashley, Chad, Scott and I took the metro to Chad’s bus station. Four American travelers, four really large backpacks. Now I don’t know how much you know about transportation in developing countries, but usually it goes a little something like this: One small van/bus + more people than you would ever think could possibly fit in a regular sized van = a very uncomfortable two hour ride. Now picture that plus four huge back packs and I am sure you can start to picture our traveling dilemma. When we arrived at the Marshutni, we were pleasantly surprised to see that it was almost completely empty. Score! This means your choice of wear you will sit. This means, you don’t have to squeeze by people, unintentionally whacking them with your huge bag as you pass, just to shimmy into the crummy middle seat, which happens to be in between two very large people. This is going to be good, I thought as I take a step up to board. Before I have time to get my second foot onto the van, my good mood bubble bursts!
“You four must sit in the back four seats that is the only place you can sit with your stuff” POP. Everyone knows the back of the van is the worst place to sit! First there is no room, second there is no room, and third you feel every single bump along the way. Nothing makes me feel more claustrophobic than feeling like I am trapped, and that is exactly how I feel in the back. To make matters worse, we have to squish are bags in front of us. Let me tell you, your legs don’t even have room to squish in front of you, let alone your bags! More than anything I wish someone would have taken a picture of the four of us, caved into the back seat of this Marshutni, looking as miserable as could be, because we were as miserable as could be, with elbows overlapping, and knees unwillingly fighting to get some breathing air. Oh and did I mention how hot it happened to be? After being in the car for only 5 minutes we began to sweat. And so began our two and a half hour journey to Milishka.

I do have to say, having a horrible drive, does help you to appreciate your surroundings when you get out of the car much more! And Chad’s little village of Milishka happens to be a stunningly beautiful surrounding to have!


This is a statue in Milishka dedicated to the one solider who was in world war 2from Malishka. Rumor has it he never even had to fight, but he has his very own statue just for being there!


And this is the beautiful entrance way to Chad's Armenian mansion!

There really isnt anything else I can say about Milishka since I spent three days there sick as a dog!

3 comments:

  1. You are not allowed to carry big bags in Marshutnis, specially in Yerevan, but you can always pay for two empty seats, beside the one you are sitting, and put your bags in those seats, they are yours if you pay for them. Don't be stingy--pay more and enjoy your ride. What I did once was paying for all seats in a taxi car as I did not like second smoke from other travelers and it was a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I don't see you paying for empty seats for your luggage. Wow, just reading it makes me feel calustiphobic! Look at all the things your are having to over come, by the time you return home not too much will bother you. See look at the bright side. I love and miss you sweetie your real mom xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!..and look also at the romantic side..who knows someday your would be husband might take the same marshutny you are traveling in and for lack of empty seats he will sit on your lap...or the roles can be reversed and for lack of an empty seat you will sit on his lap..love at first sight as they say..while journeying in the wilderness of Caucasus

    ReplyDelete